2.3.13

The Importance of an E-Book Cover

I published my first E-Book on the 24th of December, 2012 via Amazon's KDP Select Program. While sales have varied, and seemed to peak after running a couple of free two day promotions, I got to thinking that a new cover for Iron Triangle: A Jackson Pike Novel may help bolster sales and call attention to the book.

The Old Cover: 

Don't get me wrong... I already had what I thought was a decent enough cover. It was by no means lackluster or poorly done. It was professionally designed.

But it wasn't quite right. The lettering was too small, the colors somewhat off for the genre, etc. 

The 99 Designs Contest: 

I decided to shell out the dough for a design contest, reinvesting some of the earnings from my first couple of months as a self published author. For $299, I launched a design contest on 99 Designs

In 4 days I received close to 100 new cover designs, all of which were vastly superior to my old cover. 

Eventually I settled on a cover that I thought evoked the mood of the Iron Triangle Series while also having big, bold lettering and eye catching colors that will (hopefully) call attention to the novel in the Kindle Store.

The Experiment: 

Why am I telling you this? 

Because it is an experiment. If you are an author, or even a casual reader you've heard the expression "never judge a book by its cover". But it is my opinion that people do, and it is my intention to discover how much of a difference an excellent, professionally designed and targeted book cover can have on sales.

I republished the book in the Kindle Store this morning, with the new cover. 

I've changed nothing else about the book. 

For one month, I plan to change nothing about my marketing strategy or roll out plan for Iron Triangle (with the exception of the cover), and see what kind of difference (if any) in sales I experience. 

My baseline of sales for January and February were almost identical.

If March turns out the same, I can assume that the cover was a poor investment.

If sales in March increase, we will assume the investment in an excellent, professional E-Book cover to be quite possibly one of the easiest and most cost effective ways to boost sales. 

I'll let you know what I find out! 

Want to see how the new cover is doing? Visit my author page on Amazon.com